Friday, March 12, 2004

The Next Step


Post-SPM Blues...

Which course to choose? Medic, Engineering or Law?

Where to study? KPM Matriculation, UIA Matriculation, Overseas or Diploma?

Overseas or Local? Which one better?

Forms to fill, deadline to catch up! UPU, JPA, MARA, UTP!


One of our top-scorer wondering of the future
Used without permission ;-)

Well, that's some of the questions that numbing the minds of most of us, post-SPM students. Some of the questions I've answered long ago, and not all the options above is valid for me but those questions still haunts many of my friends.

Course to choose? Well, those top-scoring friends of mine especially girls mostly choose Medicine. Most are keen on the course, but some are not but apply anyway. Why? Parents suruhlah, cikgu suruh, tak tahu nak pilih course lain, etc, etc. Erk? So far only one girl stands strong to not apply for Medicine and choose another field eventhough she is qualified for the course. Well, too bad most of us can't see what other options are available out there. Thank God I can see other options thru my parents (thanks so much!), extended family, and teachers. Not forgetting professionals out there like Pak Adib and countless dad's friends. The place in medical schools is so limited and can't even accomodate all straight-A1 scorers! Why people only see Medicine? One, always highlighted by parents and teachers. Second, job security - especially to the fairer sex. Third, highly regarded as a noble profession by our society. Fourth and so on, think for yourself. :-P

Meanwhile, IT is in the bad-light now with a seemingly grim career prospect especially with those highly regarded Indian technocrats competing with locals. Medicine is not an option for me as I didn't took up Biology so I've settled for Engineering. And if not I'll fallback to Law, with my strong base in language.

Course decided, now the problem is where to study? KPM (Kementerian Pendidikan Malaysia) Matriculation offer the most place, and a wide choice of course later from many local universities. Their offer will also be earlier than the other programmes so many wouldn't risk it and just went there. But there's a catch, you still don't know where you'll end up. It might be the far-flung north at UUM or down south at UTM and everything in between. Me? Insya'Allah I'll settle for UIA matriculation, even though I need to gamble a little bit. It's a good and established English medium University, a plus point in securing a job later on I might say.

That's my decision and I don't see it will change anymore. Time is running out, deadline is nearing. Then there's some people asking me why I didn't apply for JPA or Petronas-sponsored overseas programme as I'm still eligible for it? Well, I'm not the kind of guy who would unnecessarily trouble myself (manja, that's it. :-P) and being overseas would disrupt my plans. Besides, the course I wanted is already available here. Is it true overseas graduates have an edge over local graduates? Maybe, considering the challenges they had gone through, mastering foreign languages, and being exposed to more cutting edge technology. But then, I'm still be able to turn the tide right? Being here I'm able to pick some other skills, gaining experiences thru freelance works, getting professional certificates such as Certified Internet Webmaster and expanding network and contacts. My plan is by the time I graduate I already have a couple of years of work experience and I got testimonials from my clients to prove it. My work? Freelance web desinger (tech consultancy is also included in the package ^_^ ). Then, there's still so much things to fight for here and I intend to give back something to the society.

That's it, wish me luck. With God's willing, my own determination, and support from the family I'll succeed. Also wishing success for all post-SPM students, especially bloggers such as Habibah, Azra, Shahril, Salleh, Azleen, Safiyah & Wawa. Oh yes, post-O-Level students also like Nad.

*End Note: My opinions might not necessarily be true. So, don't shoot me if I'm wrong.

Sound of Allahu by Raihan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home