Thursday, April 14, 2005

GIMP-ing Around

Bored with nothing much to do I decided to give GIMP - an open source 'Photoshop' a try. Downloading and installation is pretty much straight forward with the standard wizard, no problem. Then when the programs run I noticed the software automatically change it's language to Malay but annoyingly it makes the interface mixed up in Malay and English. And the menu in Malay slows me down with 'foreign' jargon. Heh, I'm too accustomed with English interface.

Then come another problem, the toolbars came in individual windows floating on the desktop and when you load an image those windows won't automatically make way to the new window. Really annoying. But then I forgive GIMP because it's an open source software - commercial software won't get away with such an unpolished interface.

But once you get past the interface GIMP proves to be quite a powerful application. IMHO, many things that you can do in Adobe Photoshop can be done. I decided to give a picture of my friends a spin as shown below. :D


Source Image ------> Final Image

The steps are quite simple, first select the outline (with feather edge) of those guys and inverse selection to clear the background. Then I select those guys back and colour them black. Then I typed the text in Pseudo Saudi Font before giving a FlareFX for the final touch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home